History

  • During the year 1872, there was a need to establish another church in the Weeksville area of Elizabeth City, North Carolina. It was at this time that the Little River Baptist Church now Galilee Missionary Baptist Church of Elizabeth City was established. The church originally held its services near the shores of the Little River until fire destroyed the building in the year of 1931. Although fire had destroyed the sanctuary, the members did not get discouraged. They temporarily held Sunday services at the neighboring church, Rebecca AME Zion. It was during this time that the Deacon and Trustee Boards were organized.

    In 1932, Rev. S. L. Lawrence became the Pastor of Galilee MBC, under his leadership:

  • Sunday School was organized

  • GMBC is rebuilt at its new and present location

  • GMBC Choir was established (1933)

    Rev. Lawrence served faithfully as Pastor until 1942

    In 1942, Rev. E. H. Griffin became the Pastor of Galilee MBC, under his leadership:

  • Junior Choir was organized

  • Galilee-Etts Woman’s Chorus

  • Junior Usher Board

  • Galilee Male Chorus

    Rev. Griffin served faithfully as Pastor until 1967

    In 1968, Rev. W. H. Trotman, Sr. became the Pastor of Galilee MBC, under his leadership:

  • The church exterior was renovated and masonry added

    Rev. Trotman, Sr. served faithfully as Pastor until 1979

    In 1980, Rev. J.M. Etheridge became the Pastor of Galilee MBC, under his leadership:

  • Several auxiliaries were organized (Nurse’s Unit (1980), the Adult Choir (1981), the Pastor’s Aid (1984), the Combined Choir (1985), and the Gospel Chorus (1989))

  • First Senior Citizens Day was celebrated (1980)

  • Fellowship hall was annexed (1986)

  • Central air-conditioning was installed

    Rev. Etheridge served faithfully as Pastor until 1991

    In 1992, Rev. J. Epps became the Pastor of Galilee MBC, under his leadership:

  • The sanctuary was renovated (Exterior and Interior)

    Rev. J. Epps served faithfully as Pastor until 1995

    In 1996, Rev. V. M. Wilder became the Pastor of Galilee MBC, under his leadership:

  • A new fellowship hall, clerk’s office, choir room, kitchen, and pastoral efficiency were built

  • Sanctuary interior painted white, stain glass windows added

  • Reupholstered pews, new carpet and oak doors

  • Paved parking lot

  • New HVAC units

  • New steeple added

  • Galilee MBCEC became incorporated (2001)

  • Galilee MBCEC received 501(c)3 status